Sunday, December 4, 2011

Return of the Snow

Yes, it is December in Iowa.  We have received a small amount of snow in Belmond, but it is that heavy, sticky, road icing stuff that makes three inches of the white stuff seem like a foot.  In my second year as a superintendent, I simply hope to get as lucky as I did last year.  There is no "victory" in making snow calls.  Each one is inevitibly "wrong" as this is clearly a place where safety and education are at odds.  In order to enhance education, I try my best to preserve as much time in a school day as possible.  On the other hand, I'm not even able to consider how I would feel if there was a loss of life on a snowy road.  In any of these circumstances, it is easy to see how every call is a "loss" in advance.  It is only after the fact that any call can be considered a positive outcome.  When the best of all things come together, we have a full day of school filled with learning, and each of our students returns to their home safely.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | GreenGeeks Review